HIGH 5! Here is the news update of the latest trends from the global technology and startup scene. HIGH 5 is published by Lab1886. This week’s topics are:
Robotaxis without safety drivers +++ Airless tires +++ Robots see around corners +++ Tailored deliveries reduce number of returns +++ Streamlining automation
In Phoenix, Arizona, robotaxis will soon be driving without safety attendants in the driver’s
seat. Waymo, a developer of autonomous driving technologies, is planning to offer
passengers rides in a number of fully autonomous test vehicles. However, the firm has not
yet specified how many AVs will be used or when trials are due to start. As well as robotaxis,
Waymo is testing self-driving technologies in trucks in Michigan, Arizona and Georgia.
“In the past, cars drove maybe 20 percent of the time; the remaining 80 percent, they stayed in the garage,” quips a Bridgestone employee. The opposite will be true of driverless
cars, which will be in constant motion for reasons of efficiency. This is why airless tires are
attractive, although they only outperform standard tires in one respect: fewer punctures. This makes them ideal for driverless cars, because avoiding breakdowns will be a top priority.
Researchers at MIT have developed a system that uses shadows on the ground to detect
moving objects around corners. The system is more than half a second faster than lidar, which only detects visible objects. This could help robots such as driverless vehicles to avoid collisions with pedestrians or other cars.
Source: MIT News
Sustainability // Delivery
Indian fashion platform Myntra.com advocates sustainability. To reduce the number of returns, garments are delivered to customers by tailors – who make on-the-spot adjustments as required. Most returns can be avoided by making minor adjustments, maintains Myntra. To provide the service, the platform employs local tailors who collect and deliver shipments from Myntra’s warehouses.
Machine vision is an essential element in automating production and logistics, enabling robots to navigate complex spaces or work with disparate, oddly shaped objects. Not only could this help to optimize existing factories, ports and warehouses – certain factories in China already operate with no human workers at all. But the big question is: When will
robots learn to correctly interpret what they “see” and respond accordingly?
HIGH 5 is published by Lab1886. If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact us using the following email address: David Menzel (firstname.lastname@example.org)